- When you're buying a washing machine, think about how much it will be used. A large capacity washer should be considered for frequent bigger loads.
- Don't leave a washing machine running during the night or when you are out, and switch it off when not in use.
- Never overload – take large or bulky items such as duvets to the dry-cleaners.
- Make sure to clean the filter regularly.
- Empty pockets before washing items and keep machine and door seal clear of items such as coins or buckles, which can weaken door glass, leading to them potentially shattering under constant heating up and cooling down.
- If your washing machine begins making a strange noise, don't ignore it. If you think there might be a problem, always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.
- Buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions
- If you're concerned about an appliance in your home, use Electrical Safety First's online product checker to see if it has been recalled