- Never overload the dryer – take large or bulky items like duvets to the dry cleaners.
- Always allow each drying programme, including the "cool down cycle", to complete fully.
- If you have to stop the dryer before the end of the cycle remove all items and leave the door open to dissipate heat.
- Don't use it to dry clothes that are contaminated with combustible substances like solvents, grease, oils or fats.
- Don't leave your tumble dryer running overnight or when you are out.
- Buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions
- Always register your appliance with the manufacturer so you can be notified if there's a problem
- If you're concerned about an appliance in your home, use Electrical Safety First's online product checker to see if it has been recalled